Apartment Building Catches Fire in Dallas

Firefighters say children may have started fire that spread to apartment building

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Dallas firefighters say it may have been the carelessness of children that started a fire in the 32-hundred block of Webb Chapel extension.

    Dallas firefighters say children may have started a two-alarm fire that started at a home and spread to an apartment building Tuesday afternoon.

    The children were playing in the detached garage where the fire started. The blaze quick spread west to an adjoining wooden fence and a tree that led to the second story of the Cluster Apartments in the 3200 block of Webb Chapel Extension.

    Investigators said the heat from the fire forced windows in the apartment building's second story to explode and gave the fire entrance into the apartments' attic.

    Several tenants had to be evacuated from the the complex. Others arrived home to find their apartments on fire.

    The fire displaced about 20 residents.

    Tenants were told to salvage what they could and leave. Even if some units did not have smoke, fire or water damage, the fire destroyed the complex's electrical wiring, cutting power to the building.

    While the fight was under way, officials blocked traffic at Webb Chapel Extension between Larga and Timberline drives north of Bachman Lake.

    One person was treated for minor injuries at the scene and released.