A top state official says Planned Parenthood will remain in the Women's Health Program for now.
Health and Human Service Commissioner Kyle Janek said Wednesday the state needs time to verify it has enough doctors signed up for a new program that will exclude doctors and clinics with ties to abortion providers.
Janek said the state will continue taking federal funds. That means for the time being they must keep funding Planned Parenthood clinics that do not provide abortions.
"Earlier this year, the Obama Administration, which is one of Planned Parenthood's biggest supporters, said they would pull funding from the Women's Health Program and in response, I promised the women of Texas that they would continue to have access to this important health care, whether funded by the federal government or the state," said Gov. Rick Perry in a news release. "HHSC has been working to line up providers across the state for the new Texas WHP, a program that not only meets the needs of Texas women, it also respects life and honors the will of Texas voters, ensuring no taxpayer money goes to abortion providers and their affiliates."
Perry has said he doesn't want taxpayer funds going to Planned Parenthood. But federal officials have said that interferes with a woman's right to choose her own doctor. Perry said he feels certain that his new women's health program, which relies solely on state funding, can meet the needs of poor women.
Planned Parenthood said Wednesday that their doors remain open and they are committed to "every Texas woman in need of affordable, high quality health care."