Flesh-Eating Bacteria Killed Texas Boy in Calif.

Boy dies while on vacation in California

Thursday, Aug 30, 2012  |  Updated 11:26 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Flesh-Eating Bacteria Killed Texas Boy in Calif.

Getty Images

advertisement

A 7-year-old Texas boy who died during a Southern California vacation was killed by flesh-eating bacteria.

The San Diego County medical examiner's office says Tevita Alatini died on July 10 after the infection spread to muscle tissue. The office didn't say how he might have contracted the infection.

Authorities say the boy also had anemia caused by an autoimmune condition and that contributed to his death.  NBC San Diego reports the boy died after the infection spread to muscle tissue.

Tevita was hospitalized only days after he and his family arrived in San Diego County last month from Spring, Texas.

His uncle, Sione Niko, told the North County Times that the boy became increasingly sick and his parents noticed a red spot under his arm.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out