Science Project In Saginaw Goes Wrong, No Injuries

By Keaton Fox
|  Thursday, Oct 18, 2012  |  Updated 12:49 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Science Project In Saginaw Goes Wrong, No Injuries

Keaton Fox, NBC 5 News

Emergency crews responded to Wayside Middle School in the Eagle Mountain-Saginaw Independent School District after a science experiment went wrong Thursday morning.

advertisement

An eighth-grade science project intended to make an explosion exploded at the wrong time at Wayside Middle School in Saginaw around 10 a.m. Thursday morning.

The class was mixing crushed chlorine and alcohol in bottles, then throwing them, with the expected reaction to be a explosion, but away from the students, said Kristin Courtney, Eagle Mountain-Saginaw Independent School District's director of communication.

When one of the bottles didn't explode, a student went up to it and opened the bottle, causing the explosion. That sent chemicals spraying onto about 30 students in the class.

The Saginaw Fire Department's HAZMAT team responded as a precaution, Courtney said.

MedStar said it assessed 20 patients on scene, with no transports to the hospital.

Some students went home after the incident. Classes have resumed.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out