Ben Russell, NBC 5 News
Two students and a teacher were injured during a controlled science experiment involving chemicals at Roach Middle School Monday afternoon.
Two students and a teacher were injured during a controlled science experiment involving chemicals at a Frisco middle school on Monday afternoon.
A Roach Middle School eighth-grader sustained first- and second-degree burns in the incident, according to a statement from the Frisco school district. The student's name was not released.
The other student and the teacher were treated for minor injuries at the scene.
The Frisco fire department was called to the school in the 12000 Block of Independence Parkway just after 3:30 p.m., a city representative said.
Firefighters reported that students were conducting a science experiment involving the burning of salts when a small flash fire occurred after a chemical reaction. The chemicals strontium chloride and methyl alcohol were used in combination with a stick lighter during what the district called a controlled experiment.
Strontium chloride is used in fireworks to give off a red color during displays.
Frisco city spokeswoman Dana Baird said there was no fire at the building, but school personnel evacuated the school.
Two students and a teacher were injured. Baird said CareFlite took one student to Parkland Hospital in Dallas for treatment. She was released from the hospital's burn unit late Monday.