TLC Wins Preliminary Injunction in Court Against Jon Gosselin

Network wins first court battle

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    WireImage
    Television personality John Gosselin attends week 2 of the 2009 Mercedes-Benz Polo Challenge at Blue Star Jets Field at Two Trees Farm on July 25 in Bridgehampton, New York.

    TLC was victorious in its request for a preliminary injunction against Jon Gosselin in court earlier today, barring him from making media appearances that conflict with his TLC contract.

    The network had previously filed a motion for the preliminary injunction and claimed the reality dad broke confidentiality and exclusivity agreements related to the contract for his show, "Jon & Kate Plus 8," as a result of a series of media appearances the father of multiples made.

    VIEW THE PHOTOS: Keepin' It Real With TV's Hottest Reality Stars!

    According to the Radar Online, TLC Chief Operating Officer Edward Sabin slammed Jon's behavior on the stand, claiming appearances he made over the summer – including hosting duties at a Las Vegas pool party — "made the show look bad."

    "Photos of Jon Gosselin with scores of bikini-clad women was inconsistent with our image brand of our show," Sabin reportedly said.

    VIEW THE PHOTOS: Jon & Kate: After The Break Timeline

    Sabin said TLC went after the dad after what he called a "series of last straws," which he reportedly said included Jon taking money from "entertainment programs where the folks sit around and gossip about celebrities' lives."

    Sabin also noted that the network was going to rebrand "Jon & Kate Plus 8" simply, "Kate Plus 8," and Jon would have been "paid under the same terms of the contract," Radar Online further reported.

    As for Jon's attorney, Peter Toumbekis, he said Jon hadn't done "irreparable harm" to the show.

    VIEW THE PHOTOS: Jon & Kate's Family Photo Album

    Jon was not present in court for the hearing. A trial is scheduled for April 19.

    Following the ruling, TLC issued a statement to Access Hollywood.

    "We are pleased with the Court's ruling today. The Court has validated our view that Mr. Gosselin has a valid, binding contract and that he has breached it repeatedly," the statement read. "Step one — getting the court to order Mr. Gosselin to comply with his contractual obligations — has been accomplished. Any further breaches going forward will be violations of a court order. We look forward to the next phase of the litigation, which is to pursue our claim for damages resulting from Mr. Gosselin's numerous breaches."

    Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
    PLAY IT NOW: Michael Lohan: 'The Truth Is Gonna Come Out' About Jon Gosselin
    PLAY IT NOW: Jon Gosselin: 'I Can't Forgive Myself,' But 'I Do Apologize To Kate'
     

    MORE ACCESS ON THESE TOPICS: Jon Gosselin - Courts - Reality TV - TV - TLC