Katie Couric Confirms Leaving "CBS Evening News"

"I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling"

By DANIEL MACHT
|  Tuesday, Apr 26, 2011  |  Updated 6:34 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Katie Couric's Career

Getty Images

She's out.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

It’s official.

Katie Couric confirmed Tuesday what she’s recently been hinting at: she’s departing as anchor of CBS’s nightly newscast.

"I have decided to step down from the CBS Evening News," the 54-year-old newswoman told People. “I'm really proud of the talented team on the CBS Evening News and the award-winning work we've been able to do in the past five years in addition to the reporting I've done for 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday Morning.”

Couric did not say who her successor at “CBS Evening News” would be or when her resignation takes effect. But she said the show’s future would “be in great hands.”

According to ABC News, "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley is the rumored frontrunner to snatch up Couric's spot when her contract ends June 4.

News of Couric's exit doesn't come as a shock.

In an interview with The New York Times earlier this month, Couric conceded early missteps in trying to be "overly ambitious" as the first woman to solo helm a nightly network newscast.

The former NBC “Today” show co-host confirmed to the Times that she'd been in discussions with her old boss, Jeff Zucker, about hosting a syndicated show. 

Details of the program are “still being discussed,” she told People on Tuesday.

“I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling," Couric told the mag.

Selected ReadingPeople, ABC News

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get NBCDFW on Mobile!
Get NBCDFW's free news and weather... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out