NBC, Getty Images
After five months, The Jay Leno Show faltered in prime-time and the network decided to move Leno back to Tonight. Conan O'Brien accepted a $33 million (plus $12 million for his staff) deal to leave NBC and The Tonight Show after a heated debate over the future of the show.
Eyebrows were raised when Jay Leno and David Letterman both failed to mention Conan O'Brien's new late night TV deal with cable station TBS, on their own evening shows last week, but at least one of the men is speaking out now.
Jay, whose own Kevin Eubanks announced his departure from "The Tonight Show" the day Conan announced his own news, told Access Hollywood over the weekend at the TV Land Awards that he wasn't surprised by his former co-worker's move.
"I knew he'd land on his feet," Jay told Access of Conan's new show.
"It'll be fun. Everybody will compete," Jay said, referring to the fact that Conan's new show, which premieres later this fall, will start at 11 PM, while "The Tonight Show" and "The Late Show With David Letterman" both kick off at 11:35 PM. "11 o'clock is now the most exciting place to be."
Jay is also expecting Conan to amuse fans.
"I think he'll be great," Jay said. "He's a very funny guy."
When asked what he thought of Conan's move from network to cable television (Conan was originally rumored to go to FOX), Jay said it wasn't a big deal.
"I didn't know what to think," he said. "I mean, well, FOX is network but they have cable too, so, you know, it's all sort of the same now… Everybody sort of reaches the same thing, but I think it's exciting. I think he'll do well."
In related Conan news, on Sunday, the New York Post claimed that George Lopez, whose show will be time shifted to midnight to make room for Conan's new program, isn't as supportive of his new late night counterpart as he's stated.
The paper claimed TBS bosses told George that his show would be canceled if he didn't support Conan.
"George was initially opposed to the idea of moving his time slot to make room for Conan on TBS," a source told the paper.
A rep for TBS, however, denied the claims to the paper.
"These claims are completely untrue. TBS has been unequivocal in its support for George Lopez," the rep told the paper. "Conan O'Brien and his team also fully support George's show."
George's rep also denied the report.
"This information is false and fabricated," his rep told the paper.
Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Jay Leno Says Goodbye To The 'Tonight Show'
VIEW THE PHOTOS: The Men & Women Of Late Night Television
PLAY IT NOW: 2010 TV Land Awards Backstage: Jay Leno On Conan O'Brien's New Show - 'I Knew He'd Land On His Feet'
PLAY IT NOW: Access Extended: Jay Leno Talks Leaving 'The Tonight Show'