The Grammy-winning Fugees star did not satisfy legal requirements to run in the Nov. 28 election, Reuters reported Thursday, citing a member of the provisional electoral council.
"He is not on the list as I speak," the council official told Reuters, with the provisional electoral council set to announce the list of approved candidates on Friday.
The "Gone Till November" singer released a statement late Thursday asserting that "no decisions" had been announced.
"He is concerned about the people of Haiti and the country's future, and is cautiously optimistic about rulings on his candidacy, expected tomorrow," Jean said. "Wyclef Jean puts the needs for health, wellness, and future prosperity of Haiti's citizens first and foremost.
"He will be focused on this tomorrow, and hopes that he'll be accepted as a candidate for President. He looks forward to five productive years of public service to his homeland and the people he loves, and to building bridges to the rest of world, as he leads his country in rebuilding."
Jean was born in Croix-des-Bouquets, outside the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince, but grew up in New York and New Jersey where he went on to co-found hip-hop supergroup The Fugees.
Since the musician announced earlier this month he intended to lead the earthquake-ravaged country as president, his opponents have said they did not believe Jean fulfilled a five consecutive year residency requirement to run for office.
Jean has maintained he is exempt from the rules from having been appointed the country's roving ambassador three years ago.
"We await the [Electoral Commission's] decision but the laws of the Haitian constitution must be respected," Jean told The Associated Press Wednesday in an email in which he also revealed he'd gone into hiding for having received death threats.
The discussions ranged from Jean's safety to relations with the neighboring Dominican Republic, according to the wire service.