As the Taste of Dallas hits North Texas this weekend, NBC 5 invites guests to sample a dish whipped up by Chef Scott Jones of Jack's Modern Southern Kitchen in Dallas.
Jack's Modern Southern Kitchen features meals that combine Louisiana Cajun-style flavor with Texas family recipes. The family business uses locally owned products to create its dishes.
Chef Jones shared a classic recipe for Jimmy's Italian Sausage Gravy on Buttermilk Biscuits with NBC 5 as he prepares for the Taste of Dallas at Fair Park.
First, you'll need the necessary ingredients:
I pound hot Italian Sausage
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup diced red onion
8 oz cremini mushrooms (sliced)
2 TBS Olive Oil
4 TBS Flour
4 Cups Half and Half
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat add olive oil – when olive oil is hot, add mushrooms, saute mushrooms until brown and caramelized. Add colored peppers and onions. Saute until tender.
- Remove vegetables from pan. Reserve for later.
- Place pan back on burner.
- Add Italian Sausage. With the back of a spoon (preferably wooden) break up sausage and separate. When sausage is brown – add flour and stir to combine and cook for one minute. Slowly add Half and Half while stirring to sausage.
- Add vegetables back to sausage and simmer until gravy has thickened. Garnish with basil and parsley.
- Finally, serve over buttermilk biscuits.
NBC 5 is proud sponsor of the Taste of Dallas. This year's event will feature more than 50 restaurants and more than 70 vendors July 11-13 at Fair Park Dallas. Admission is $12 for an individual ticket. Chidren aged five and under are free.