The Texas Rangers are shaking up their roster again - this time in the concession stands - as they prepare to debut several new food items over the next three weeks at Globe Life Park in Arlington.
The stadium's culinary team said something is always cooking at the ballpark.
“We work daily with each other,” said Casey Rapp, Operations Manager for Delaware North Companies, which provides all the food and concessions services at Globe Life Park. “And we’re always throwing out new food ideas.”
This year, they had so many ideas, they decided to wait until mid-season to debut many of them.
“It’s close to the all-star break, so when the fans are coming back from the break, they get to try all these new, neat items,” said Rapp.
The menu includes:
- Poutine Nachos ($13) – Poutine is a popular Canadian dish, in which French fries are covered with brown gravy. Rapp said they wanted to make it more Texas, so they decided to take potato nachos and cover them with Texas-style cream gravy, jalapenos, chicken or brisket and other toppings.
- Waffle Bacon on a Stick ($8.50) – Rapp said the Bacon on a Stick they introduced at the beginning of the season has proven to be very popular with fans - they sell 500 to 600 of them per game - so they wanted to up the ante. Now, they’re dipping the thick-cut bacon in waffle batter, cooking it up, then serving it with either maple syrup or whipped cream and chocolate.
- The Tanaco ($26) – In continuing with the tradition of the Boomstick, Globe Life Park will soon begin serving a two foot long taco. It’s loaded with 12 inches of beef and 12 inches of chicken, then topped with pico de gallos, sour cream, lettuce, cheese, and jalapenos. Rapp says they were unable to find a tortilla maker that would produce 2 foot long taco shells for them, so they had to come up with a creative way to make one themselves. They took two pizza sheets, bent them in half, lined them up, then laid the dough over them.
- Kaboom Kabob ($13) – Fans will also be able to enjoy a two foot long kabob with grilled chicken and vegetables. Rapp says fortunately, they did not have whittle their own skewers to make this happen.
- Bulgogi Beef Sandwich ($8) – In honor of Globe Life Park’s Korean Heritage Night on July 11, the culinary team has decided to roll out a Korean style sandwich that contains shredded beef, a spicy Asian coleslaw, and cucumber slices. Although it was created with a special night in mind, it will be served during all games this summer.
“We’d like to think we’re staying a step ahead of everybody,” said Rapp.
In addition to the new food items, fans will soon be able to purchase hot dogs from a vintage style hot dog cart.
All of the new food items, except for the Tanaco, will go on sale starting Tuesday, June 24. The hot dog cart will make its debut at the park on June 27 and the Tanaco will go on sale July 7.