On Monday, New York Giants’ defensive end Osi Umenyiora returned to practice with the team for the first time since training camp began last month, ending a nearly month-long holdout over contract issues.
Namely, the issue is that Umenyiora wanted a new deal before returning--and, he said, the team promised him as much. The Giants didn’t budge however, and it appears that the two-time Pro Bowler will play 2011 under the terms of his old deal.
Umenyiora practiced with the team’s first team defense in his return to practice Monday, splitting reps with Jason Pierre-Paul. Afterward, the 29-year-old declined to speak to members of the media, but friend and teammate Justin Tuck isn’t so sure that Umenyiora’s return necessarily signals the end of the contract saga.
"Just because he's back on the football field doesn't mean this whole saga is over," Tuck said, per NewsDay. "But he's doing what he thinks is best to help this football team and himself, and you have to give him credit for that."
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW Sports on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe to this free service. Read more about it here.