In a news conference Thursday, Cowboys’ head coach Jason Garrett confirmed that Tyron Smith would move to left tackle beginning in offseason workouts this spring, replacing Doug Free who will move over to the right side.
That Smith would move to the left at some point has seemed a given since he was drafted by Dallas in the first round of the 2011 draft--in fact, according to many around the team, he may have started his NFL career there if it weren’t for the lockout last year--but the news that he’ll have a shot at protecting Tony Romo’s blindside in 2012, his second season in the NFL, was met with excitement by the 21-year-old.
"It's a great opportunity," Smith told the Dallas Morning News on Thursday. "I will do whatever I can to help the team out. I'll definitely play anywhere they want to put me. It's a great opportunity to play the left. It's a blessing."
Offseason workouts are still some ways off, but Smith, who was the Cowboys’ best offensive lineman in his rookie season, is ready to take on the challenge awaiting him when they get started.
"I can't wait to get started," Smith said. "I've already started a little bit of work on my own as far as position-stuff on the field."
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe to this free service. Read more about it here.