ARLINGTON, TX - DECEMBER 13: Safety Gerald Sensabaugh #43 of the Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium on December 13, 2009 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
On Friday, the first full day of free agency in the NFL, reports surfaced that safety Gerald Sensabaugh--who received the second-round tender from the team, worth $1.815 million next season--was already garnering some interest from other teams; his agent put the number of teams interested at three or four.
The Cowboys have said that they're interested in locking up Sensabaugh with a long-term deal; Jerry Jones, last week, put the safety in the same sentence as Miles Austin, when discussing the team's off-season goals, with respect to personnel. On the other side, Sensabaugh's agent Kevin Conner said that a long-term deal with Dallas was his and his client's goal.
That is, it seems likely that the hard-hitting safety will return.
The reports that Sensabaugh is drawing interest from other teams is both likely and, at this point, irrelevant; of course, Sensabaugh's camp wants the message--that there is an ample market for the 26-year-old--to be clear.
But Dallas can match any offer made; if they want him back, they will almost certainly get him back. If they opt against it, they will receive a second-round pick in one of the best draft classes, with respect to defensive backs, in recent memory.
Playing in 15 games in 2009, Sensabaugh posted 66 tackles officially (though the coaches credit him with 81), eight pass deflections and an interception.