LANDOVER, MD - DECEMBER 27: Gerald Sensabaugh #43 of the Dallas Cowboys poses with a fan before the game against the Washington Redskins at FedExField on December 27, 2009 in Landover, Maryland. The Cowboys defeated the Redskins 17-0. (Photo by Larry French/Getty Images)
The interest in restricted free agent safety Gerald Sensabaugh has grown to a considerable level, according to recent reports. We said in a post last week that Sensabaugh was in talks with "three or four" teams; yesterday, his agent, Kevin Conner said that number now stands at six, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Of course, this doesn't mean that the North Carolina product is headed out of town, just yet.
No visits have been scheduled, and Dallas put the second round tender on Sensabaugh, meaning that any of these 'interested' teams would have to be 'interested' enough to part with a second round pick, should they sign him. It's no indictment of Sensabaugh when we say that seems a bit doubtful at this point.
Sensabaugh is young--26-years-old, to be exact--and he wants a long term deal as opposed to a tender offer worth one year. It's most likely, from where we're standing anyway, that Sensabaugh will work out a deal with Dallas some time between now and training camp.
Even if negotiations last into the 2010 season, Dallas seems committed to granting Sensabaugh his wish of a substantial contract--Jerry Jones said recently that getting a deal done with Sensabaugh was one of the team's goals this off-season--and, usually with Dallas, this commitment leads to a deal getting done at some point. (See: DeMarcus Ware.)
Sensabaugh started 15 games for Dallas last year.