After two and a half greatly disappointing seasons in Dallas, Roy Williams was told yesterday that he would be released by the team. Williams was one of a handful of veterans to be informed of their impending release on Tuesday, a list that includes Williams, Marion Barber, Leonard Davis and kicker Kris Brown.
Though disappointed, Williams was understanding of the Cowboys’ decision, even going so far as to say that, if the roles were reversed, he would’ve released Roy Williams, too.
"It is a business," Williams said, per the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "It is what it is. It's a business. I would have done the same thing."
To be sure, Dallas wouldn’t have minded Williams returning as the team’s no. 3 receiver behind Miles Austin and Dez Bryant, but not at the price they would have had to pay--and particularly not with the salary cap set at $120 million. Basically, circumstances as they are, Williams had to go.
"It wasn't even close to what I thought it was going to be," Williams said. "I appreciated the opportunity Mr. Jones gave me. I got a chance to play with three of the best players I have ever seen in Jason Witten, Jay Ratliff and DeMarcus Ware. It was a great opportunity. But it's over. It didn't work out here. It will work out somewhere."
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW Sports on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe to this free service. Read more about it here.