The first hearing in the arbitration proceedings between the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins and the NFL, concerning the salary cap hits doled out to the two teams by the league as a result of front-loading contracts in the uncapped season of 2010, is set for Thursday, and Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones is looking forward to it.
Jones said Wednesday that he believes his franchise is well prepared to state their case in front of arbitrator Stephen Burbank.
“I can’t and won’t address the specifics and certainly wouldn’t dare try to predict what the resolution will be,” Jones said, per ESPN Dallas. “I’m glad we’ve got an opportunity to present it under the labor agreement to a mediator, and that’s what tomorrow is all about. … It won’t resolve the issue, but it will help decide whether or not we can go before a mediator.”
It was announced earlier this offseason that both Washington and Dallas would be penalized in the form of cap room for front-loading deals in 2010--Washington was docked $36 million, Dallas $10 million, to be spread over the next two seasons--but Jones maintains that the team did nothing wrong.
“I know we followed the rules,” Jones said. “The league has not said that we did not follow the rules. Those were approved contracts, but this is a complicated issue. Again, that’s about all I need to be saying about it and want to say about it.”
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe, text HELP for more info, and text STOP to end the subscription. Message and data rates may apply.Read more about it here.