Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett confirmed Tuesday that Bill Callahan would take over playcalling duties in 2013--the first new playcaller since Garrett came to town as an offensive coordinator in 2007--but says the offense will remain a “collaborative effort” between he, Callahan and the rest of the offensive staff.
“We’ll continue to do it that way,” Garrett said, per the Dallas Morning News, “but we certainly want Bill to put his stamp on it.”
Garrett confirmed Jerry Jones’ week-old assertion that the decision has been made for some time now--specifically, they say, they’ve known Callahan would take over since January. While Garrett maintains there’s no disconnect between he and the front office, he admits some fault in the altogether strange way the news surfaced.
“Where I made a mistake as a head coach was making sure the communication publicly happened more cleanly,” Garrett said. “It didn’t happen as cleanly as I wanted it to last week and I take full responsibility for that.”
Stay on top of the latest Dallas Cowboys news with NBCDFW.com. Follow NBC DFW on Facebook or have breaking Cowboys news sent directly to your phone with Blue Star SMS alerts. Text "bluestar" to 622339 (NBCDFW) to subscribe, text HELP for more info, and text STOP to end the subscription. Message and data rates may apply.Read more about it here.