Every Friday, we’ll tackle five big questions for the Cowboys going into the weekend’s game.
1. Can Miles Austin do that again, please? Probably not. The way this Cowboys offense is designed – with lot of throws going to the tight ends and backs – wide receiver production is bound to be inconsistent all season long. Keep in mind that a lot of Austin’s yardage in the KC game came from two long runs he made after catching the ball on a short route. The Falcons are a far more fundamentally sound team than the Chiefs are. It won’t be as easy to shrug them off and then dash the length of the field for a score. Austin is starting on Sunday, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up only catching 3 or 4 balls.
2. DeMarcus had two sacks against KC with a fractured foot. Can he do it again? Yes. Ware has been playing with the injury for three weeks now and he told the Star Telegram the injury should be healed in two weeks, regardless of whether he plays or not. Ware may have gotten off to a slow start this year, but he looked his old self against the Chiefs. If he can do it again this week, that bodes well for perhaps patching up a defense that has been terribly leaky all year long.
3. Do I get free green beans if a punt hits the scoreboard? Right now, all signs point to no. There have been no press releases from TGI Fridays this week announcing that their free fried green bean promotion has been continued, and my emails to the company demanding free green beans anyway have gone unreturned. WHAT’S THE MATTER, FRIDAYS? CAN’T STAND THE IDEA OF SHARING WITH THE WORLD?
4. Okay, is this the week a punter finally hits that stupid scoreboard, so I can stop waiting for it to happen? I say no. Your opposing punter this week is Michael Koenen. It’s like a carnival game at this point. MICHAEL KOENEN, STEP RIGHT UP AND TEST YER STRENGTH, YOUNG MAN! Koenen ranks 25th in the NFL in punting yardage. He’s not the strongest-legged fella to come strolling into JerryWorld.
5. So, if the Cowboys lose, Wade Still won’t be fired? Could I at least egg his car? By all means.