On Tuesday, the Cowboys shut down rookie receiver Dez Bryant after he developed some tightness in his left hamstring.
The minor injury was all but dismissed by head coach Wade Phillips, and Bryant said that he would return on Wednesday. Phillips agreed with this assessment, saying that the first round selection was held out strictly as a precautionary measure.
"It's not a pull or anything," Phillips said Tuesday. "But just like the rest of our players, anybody that has any kind of strain or anything we keep him out. We expect him back [Wednesday]."
On Wednesday, it was revealed that it was, in fact, a pull, and Bryant was not back. This was the third practice Bryant has missed since the beginning of organized team activities, begging the unfortunate question: should we be worried about the Dallas Cowboys' prized selection from the 2010 draft?
The Oklahoma State product missed one practice with a stomach virus, and the majority of two others now with hamstring issues. He has also suffered a minor hip pointer and, during rookie mini-camp, a twisted ankle.
For what it's worth, Phillips doesn't seem concerned. Coaches aren't wont to hit the panic button on anything in June, but the head coach isn't lying when he says that the team is being cautious--it is, after all, June, and Bryant likely has a healthy rookie contract coming his way.
Really, then, there's no way to know and little reason to panic (not yet, anyway). After being suspended from the Oklahoma State football team last year, Bryant had seven or so months to fall out of football-shape. Now, as he attempts to get back on track, some roadblocks are to be expected.
Hopefully, though, roadblocks is all that they are.